Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My wife has suffered a stroke, and can no longer write. What’s the correct procedure to go about obtaining a power of attorney?

If your wife is becoming incapable of handling her affairs it may be an idea for her to make a lasting power of attorney. She can do this by making a mark (ie an “X”). If this is necessary you should contact a solicitor, but it may not be unless your wife has money and property in her own name which needs managing. Even if she does have money in her own name it may be possible to transfer it into joint names, which would enable you to access it as one of the signatories on the account. If she just wishes to make a will she doesn’t have to be able to write as long as she can make herself understood.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms