Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

My wife left me two years ago, but although she’s made it clear she has no intention of coming back she will not sign her name off the rent card for our council house. I want to move to be nearer my family, but until I get this cleared up I can’t exchange properties. Is there any advice you can give?

The council can’t end the joint tenancy of your council property without your wife’s permission, unless you can either prove that she’s vanished without trace or you obtain a court order. If you’ve been separated two years probably the best way of resolving this would be to obtain a divorce. You could then ask the court to make a property adjustment order in your favour.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms