Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My wife suffers from Alzheimer’s Disease and is now unable to do anything for herself. She has an endowment policy which is due to mature shortly and we also have some money in a joint account. I am worried that my son may have a terrible muddle to sort out.

It would be a good idea for your wife to sign a lasting power of attorney if she has sufficient mental capacity to do so, appointing you and your son jointly to deal with her financial affairs should the need arise. If she is unable to sign such a document you or your son can apply to the Court of Protection for authority to act on her behalf. You may be able to sort things out less formally with the life assurance company however, and you already have authority to deal with anything in joint names.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms