Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My wife was treated very badly by her son during the 17 years she lived alone following the death of her first husband but after our marriage my son-in-law and his wife crept back into favour. I welcomed it at first, but unfortunately there now seems to be no place for me. Does such a thing as “alienation of affections” still exist in law?

Although marriage is a contract the courts will not interfere with a working marriage to enforce it. The courts will only intervene when a marriage is breaking down, and only then when called on to do so. “Alienation of affections” might be taken into consideration under the heading of “unreasonable behaviour” if you sought to divorce your wife under existing divorce law. If you can’’t discuss the problem with your wife you should consider seeking counselling together.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms