Areas of Law / Property

A neighbour has complained to the council about my dog, which he says barks incessantly. I don’t think this is true. I leave it in a kennel in the garden while I’m at work, and it’s never barking when I come home. However the council have written to ask me to keep it quiet. What’s likely to happen?

It sounds as though you’ve just had a warning letter from the council so far. If they receive further complaints a council officer is likely to come out to assess the problem. If the officer agrees with your neighbour the council will probably serve you with a written notice stating that a nuisance is being caused and asking for it to be stopped within 14 days. If you failed to observe the notice you could be fined quite heavily, with further fines if the nuisance persisted.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms