Areas of Law / Property

A neighbour has had an extension built, and the flue from their boiler comes out into my back yard at a height of about four feet. It gets extremely hot and is dangerous for my children, and I cannot leave the back door open because of the fumes. The owner keeps saying he’ll move it but the work never gets carried out. What can I do?

In legal terms the flue constitutes a “trespass” on to your land. It sounds as though it will probably breach health and safety regulations too, so it may be an idea to contact the gas board. Your neighbour should not only remove the flue but repair the damage if it’s your wall. I suggest you follow up your requests with a solicitor’s letter, specifying a date by which the work must be carried out, and take legal action if necessary.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms