Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My nephew has just died, and his wife could really do with the money from her share of the house she was left by her mother three years ago. Her mother’s will stated that the house should be sold and the proceeds shared between the three siblings. But a brother who was living in the house at the time refuses to move out, thus preventing a sale. What can be done?

Assuming there’s no provision in the will allowing the brother to remain in the house the executors can apply to the court for an order to evict the brother who refuses to leave. This could be problematic if he is an executor, but the beneficiaries could in that case sue him for their inheritance. I think she will need a solicitor’s help with this.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms