Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

Our next door neighbour has put in a planning application to build an extension to the front of his property less than 4ft away from our front window. This will not only take light from our living room but block our view and reduce the value of our house.

Normally extensions to the front of houses where they face a main road are not permitted. Write in to the local planning authority, giving the reference number of the application and setting out your objections. This must be done within three weeks to ensure your views are considered. If for any reason your objections are overruled you should see a solicitor to see if the proposed building work can be stopped on other grounds, such as interference with a right to light.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms