Areas of Law / Property

Our title deeds say that no pillars, posts or fences can be erected beyond the building line, and that the fronts of the properties should be kept mainly as lawn. But our neighbours have put up walls and pillars and dug up their lawn to turn it into a huge driveway. Can we do anything about this, and if we decided to pursue it could we claim the costs off our neighbours?

This type of restrictive covenant is often difficult to enforce. You would have been better off making an objection before your neighbours carried out the alterations. It’s possible, if you live on an estate, that the developer will take action to maintain its appearance, but otherwise you would have to take your case to the County Court. If you won the court could award you costs, but you will need a solicitor’s help.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms