Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My partner left his wife some years ago. He’s likely to inherit a substantial sum of money from his mother, who’s not in the best of health. Would his wife have any claim on his inheritance, or would it be better for him to get a divorce now, before anything happens to his mother?

Your partner should obtain a divorce and financial settlement as quickly as possible. Until a final order is made the wife will have a claim on all your partner’s cash and property. Even at this stage she could attempt to make a claim on his inheritance prospects, especially if, for instance, he is an only child. But it would be more difficult now than when he actually has the cash.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms