Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

Is it possible to take HMRC to court? Is legal aid available?

If you have a dispute with the tax inspector you may want to consider using alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in the first instance. This involves using an independent third party to act as mediator. You can apply for this using an online form. To keep your legal rights you should appeal or ask for statutory review as well. If your dispute can’t be resolved, you can ask for the matter to be referred to an independent tribunal for a hearing. If you’re on a low income (up to about £380 a week), you may be able to get free tax advice. TaxAid and Tax Help for Older People offer professional help.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms