Areas of Law / Bankruptcy Debt

We recently bought a house and are now receiving huge amounts of mail from banks, credit companies etc addressed to a previous tenant here who appears to have been hugely in debt. We have no forwarding address and are concerned that bailiffs may arrive in an attempt to recover assets. I have posted some mail “return to sender” but is there anything else that can be done?

I take it the previous owner of your house has no forwarding address? It’s possible he, as landlord, was owed money too. You don’t need to worry about the bailiffs, since they are only interested in the debtor’s property, not yours. However you should contact credit reference agencies such as Equifax and Experian to ensure that the tenant is no longer listed at your property. Make sure the electoral roll is updated quickly too.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms