Areas of Law / Personal Injury

Who is responsible for “adopted” land? I had a nasty fall in a pothole alongside an adopted road and feel there should have been a railing to prevent anyone coming to grief.

If the local highway authority has “adopted” a road, it will have a duty to maintain everything within the road’s boundaries, including its surface, verges, pavements and the like. If you were injured on a private, unadopted road, even if there is a public right of way, its upkeep will be the responsibility of the owners or the properties bordering it. You should ask a solicitor specialising in personal injury claims to investigate ownership of the road and whether it should have been maintained better. It needn’t cost you anything.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms