Areas of Law / Property

We have a right of way over a private road owned by one of our neighbours, although we all chipped in to build it. Now someone else has got planning permission to build another house off the road. Can we refuse him a right of way, since it will mean heavy lorries going to and fro?

For the complete picture you should show your title deeds to a solicitor. But it’s likely that the owner of the new house will have to pay the owner of the road for a right of way over his property. It’s unlikely the owner of the road would be able to refuse access (although the fee will be a matter for negotiation) but you probably won’t have a say in the matter, since you only have a right of way yourselves.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms