Areas of Law / Property

My son is about to come into some money. If he were to split up with his girlfriend, with whom he shares a house, could she claim any of it?

No. Cohabitees, unlike married couples, currently have no duty to maintain each other after they split up and have no claim on each other’s assets or money, as long as it’s kept separate. The only circumstances in which the girlfriend could lay claim to your son’s money (unless he’d promised to split it with her) would be if he were to die after they had been living together for two years. If he had failed to make provision for her she could go to court to claim part of his estate, whether or not he had been maintaining her financially.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms