Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My son was divorced many years ago. At the time they agreed verbally that the wife could have their shares and savings and he was to have the house, although at the time there was no equity in it. She is now threatening to take him to court for her half of the property.

Can your son provide any evidence of their verbal agreement? If he has paid the mortgage on his own while the wife has cashed in the shares and spent the savings, it’s possible he will be able to persuade the court that there was an agreement but this should have been ratified by a consent order at the time of the divorce, and the house should have been transferred into his name. Going to court now could be expensive. Your son should discuss this with a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms