Areas of Law / Conveyancing

My son and I are joint owners of the house I live in; he lives elsewhere. Is it correct that when I die my half share goes to the joint owner ie. my son, since I have another son to whom I would like to leave something?

If you and your son own the house as beneficial joint tenants then you’re right: he will receive your share if you die first. If you own the house as “tenants in common” however, your shares will be separate. It’s a very simple procedure to turn a joint tenancy into a tenancy in common, and you should discuss this with your solicitor and ensure that you make a will to dispose of your half as you wish. You should also discuss this with both your sons, especially if there is a mortgage.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms