Areas of Law / Property

My son’s next door neighbour has planted trees in between their houses which will eventually grow up to one-and-a-half times the height of the buildings. She is trying to block light from my son’s house. Is there a law against this?

If there are more than two trees in a row and they are evergreen they will constitute a hedge and your son can ask the council to intervene once they are above two metres high. He would have to show that they present a barrier to either light or access, and adversely affect the reasonable enjoyment of his property. He will also have to show that he has discussed the problem with the neighbour. If the trees do not constitute a hedge your son may only have the right to lop any branches that protrude on to his property.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms