Areas of Law / Child Law

When my teenage son was born I registered him with his father’s surname. But the father disappeared, and when my son started school he used my surname and doesn’t know any different. He now needs his birth certificate to enter the local football league. Could I get a new one showing his surname to be the same as my own?

You won’t be able to alter your son’s birth certificate at this stage. They can only be changed to correct errors. I suspect the football league people only want confirmation of your son’s age; you should discuss it with them – it’s unlikely to be the first time they’ve encountered this difficulty. Now may be the time to discuss the surname issue with your son. It will crop up again when he applies for a passport.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms