Areas of Law / Employment

The company I work for has been taken over, and it’’s possible we will have to relocate in a year’s time. If I don’’t want to move will I be entitled to claim redundancy, or can they refuse to pay redundancy because we have been offered a job elsewhere?

It depends to some extent whether your employment contract contains a “job mobility” clause, requiring you to move when requested. If this is the case you can be required to relocate unless it’s reckoned to be “unreasonable”. This could be for financial reasons, or because of disruption to your family. However there is no definition of what is reasonable, so each case is taken on its merits. It’’s possible your employers will lay on transport.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms