Areas of Law / Property

There’s a drain across the boundary between my house and next door. I am having a path laid, and want to tidy up around the drain cover as part of the job. This will mean sliding out a fence panel, but my neighbour may not agree to this, even though we should have joint access to the drain. Can I get authorisation from the council so he can’t stop me?

If you don’t live in council houses the council would not become involved in this. As you say, your deeds probably give you joint access to the drain. So if your neighbour proved awkward, you could probably get a court order to proceed. But this would be a drastic measure for so minor a matter. Discuss it with your neighbour, but if he objects you may have to just tidy up your own side.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms