Areas of Law / Insurance law

By the time my endowment policy matures I will be 70. Can I assign it to one of my children, so that they will have a better chance of receiving the maximum sum? My insurance agent says not, but I know there’s a market in these policies.

It’s likely that your policy is already assigned to your mortgage lender to pay off the mortgage but if you can pay it off by some other means there’s no reason why you couldn’t sell the policy, or give it to a member of your family. You’re right in thinking that you could sell it to a traded endowment house and it would then pay out on maturity whether or not you survived to that point. Of course it’s possible that the death benefit may be worth more than the maturity value.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms