Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

For various reasons I don’t want any of my three children, who are in their 50s, to inherit anything from me when I die. But the two firms of solicitors I’ve spoken to have refused to add a codicil to my will barring my children from contesting it. They just suggest putting my partner’s name on the deeds to my house.

That would certainly be a sensible first step, since if your house is in joint names as beneficial joint tenants, ownership would automatically pass to the survivor on the first death, and would not normally form part of your estate. In other words it would not be up for grabs by your children. You can deter any potential challenges to your will by including a letter stating your reasons for disinheriting your children, and that’s what I would recommend.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms