Areas of Law / Insurance law

We live in a block of four flats. Our tenancy agreements say we’re obliged to take out insurance, but when a fire damaged the block recently it emerged that the tenants of the flat where the fire started weren’t insured. Who can we claim compensation from in the circumstances?

If you have your own insurance your insurers should pay out for the damage to your property. They will then decide whether it’s worth trying to recover their money from the tenants of the flat where the fire started, assuming the fire was caused by their negligence. Your landlord could conceivably be held liable if he fails to check that his tenants are insured. If he has taken out insurance for the whole property you may be able to call on that policy under legislation brought in following the Great Fire of London.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms