Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When he was 17 my husband got a girl into trouble and has been paying maintenance ever since.  The CSA has now taken over, but he has recently discovered that the child’s birth certificate says “father unknown”. Does that mean he isn’’t legally regarded as the father? He has no rights to see the child.

If your husband is the child’s father he has a duty to pay maintenance: the fact that he is not named on the birth certificate is neither here nor there. It’s quite common for fathers’ names to be absent. If your husband had registered the child’s birth together with the mother, he would automatically have acquired “parental responsibility”. If he wants any say in the child’s future at this stage he should seek legal advice.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms