Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When I approached the Child Maintenance Service for an increase in maintenance for our two children my ex-husband claimed to be in such severe financial difficulties that no increase was ordered. Then, within a matter of weeks, he booked a family holiday to America with his new girlfriend and I refused permission for the children to go with them. Was I right to do this? In view of the holiday can I not pursue my case for a maintenance increase?

Generally speaking it’s not a good idea to involve children in money disputes. Maintenance calculations will not take into account any income provided by your ex-husband’s new partner. I presume the CMS looked into your ex-husband’s finances. If you can provide evidence that he was being less than truthful you can go back to them; discuss this with your solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms