Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When my divorce was finalised my husband was ordered to pay me part of the lump sum he is due to receive with his pension when he retires in three years’ time. If he dies, or I remarry before that time, will I still be entitled to this money?

The amount of money you would receive might well be reduced if he doesn’’t survive to retirement, depending on the type of pension he has. In any event, death benefits are often paid at the discretion of the trustees of the pension scheme, and I suggest you contact them for clarification. Remarriage shouldn’t affect your entitlement unless it was a condition of the court order, although it would affect any maintenance you currently receive. Contact your solicitors to check the exact wording of the court order.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms