Areas of Law / Personal Injury

While on holiday in Spain my wife slipped and suffered a serious injury while fleeing from car thieves in our hotel car park. We were told later that car thieves had caused problems previously. We have been told that because this happened in a foreign country she is not entitled to compensation. Does being a part of the EU make no difference?

There’s no reason you can’t make a claim for compensation for injury in a foreign country, although it might add complications. However unless you could argue that the hotel was negligent in failing to make the car park more secure, and that the injury was a foreseeable result of their negligence, it’s hard to see who your wife could claim against. You may be covered under your holiday insurance.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms