Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My wife and I both have children from previous marriages, and I am worried that if I die first everything I have will go to her children and mine will be left out. Can I make a will leaving my half to my children if I die first?

Your situation is of course very common. Discuss your problem with a solicitor. The danger in doing what you suggest is that, if for example you left your share in your house to your children, your wife could have to sell up if you died first. This is probably not what you would wish. You should consider setting up a trust leaving your share in the property to your children but allowing your wife to live in the house during her lifetime. If you have other capital and assets these could possibly be included in the trust.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms