Areas of Law / Employment

After 41 years with the same firm I have now been found medically unfit to do my job. Does the firm have an obligation to find me alternative work, and if they can’t find me a different job do I have a right to a redundancy payment?

If you don’t agree that you’re no longer fit for work you have the right to ask for an independent medical opinion. Before you can be dismissed the firm must follow a fairly exhaustive consultation procedure, including trying to find alternative work for you. A large firm would be expected to be more successful in this regard than a small one, but if you felt this avenue hadn’t been explored you could claim you were dismissed unfairly. You are not entitled to a redundancy payment unless the job itself is being phased out.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms