Areas of Law / Consumer Law

A finance company I was dealing with gave incorrect information to the credit reference agencies. The company has confirmed that the information was incorrect and that they have asked the agencies to alter their records, but I have recently been refused credit again. I found this humiliating and embarrassing. Do we have a claim for compensation?

Under the Data Protection Act you have a right to compensation for damage caused as the result of an inaccuracy. However it may be difficult to show that you have suffered actual financial loss unless, for instance, you missed out on a cheaper mortgage or a one-off interest-free deal because you were turned down for credit. Discuss this with the finance company and if necessary make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms