Areas of Law / Property

A friend has recently discovered that the partner she lives with hasn’t declared that they are living together. She is worried sick about the amount she must owe in Council Tax. Where, or how, can she sort this out?

The Council Tax, in common with the old rating system, is a charge on property not on individuals. However it sounds as though your friend’s partner may have been claiming the single-householder tax reduction of 25 per cent while she has been living there, which evidently he is not entitled to do. If she informs her local council tax office of the situation now, as I suggest she does, they will want to know where she was living previously and whether council tax is being paid at that address.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms