Areas of Law / Property

My daughter and her then partner bought a house ten years ago, but split up after four years. Since then my daughter has been paying the mortgage on her own. Her ex has agreed to take his name off the deeds, but the bank will not allow this since my daughter doesn’t earn enough on paper to qualify for a mortgage on her own. How can she sort this out?

If you own your own home, or have sufficient income, you could consider a “guarantor mortgage” under which you would guarantee to meet your daughter’s repayments if she was unable to do so. There are obviously risks for you involved in this scheme, but they are becoming increasingly common. If you wanted security you could put a charge against the home, or even become joint owners. Discuss it with the bank and your solicitors.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms