Areas of Law / Property

My garden borders a playing field. I asked the council whether I could put a gate in the fence so that I could walk straight out on to the field. They agreed, and I paid £100 for a gate. But they now tell me that we will have to pay the same again to have a solicitor draw up a licence so that we can open up the fence. Why this should be necessary?

Without a legal document giving you permission to open up the fence you, and people who come to live in your house after you, could eventually claim a right of way over the playing field and even incorporate it in your title deeds. This could be a problem for the council if, for example, it wanted to build on the land at some stage.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms