Areas of Law / Property

My husband and I bought our house in joint names before we were married, so my maiden name is still on our ownership details at the Land Registry. My husband has now died, and I wondered whether the different surnames could create a difficulty when I’m gone. I’ve been told that as long as my husband’s death certificate, my birth certificate and our marriage certificate can be produced there will be no problem.

Your informant is correct; there’s no need to alter the ownership register. As long as the Land Registry can be satisfied that the house belonged to you (by production of the certificates you mention) you won’t be leaving problems for your executors. However the Land Registry will alter the ownership details for you free of charge if you contact them.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms