Areas of Law / Property

I gave my son £30,000 so he could buy the bungalow we now live in, and I thought this would be my home until I die but he has now told me he wants me out. I don’t have any more money, and my son says my £30,000 was a gift so I can’t claim it back.

It’s just possible that a court might be prepared to set the gift aside if there was undue pressure put on you to finance the house purchase. It’s also possible that you could establish an interest in the property, so I suggest you see a solicitor. Generally speaking once you’ve given something away you have no right to ask for it back. I presume you have no documentary evidence showing that the cash was a loan, and didn’t register an interest in the property when it was bought.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms