Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

I hope to move to somewhere in the south of England in the near future, leaving behind family rows which have been going on for the best part of 20 years. I would like to make it impossible for family members to trace me, so I’m planning to change my name. Can I legally do this when I enrol on the electoral register in my new home town?

Yes. But if you wish to change the name on your bank account, passport, with the Inland Revenue or DVLA you will have to provide evidence that you have adopted a new name. This will have to take the form of a change of name deed obtainable cheaply online or via a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms