Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I never met my father, who disappeared before I was born, and I learned of his death only some months ago. I wondered whether I had any claim on his estate under his will now that he’s died?

If you are going to stake a claim under the family provision legislation you should act quickly, since applications must be made within six months of the issue of the Grant of Probate. If your father was a wealthy man it might be worth pursuing, since there have been cases where children abandoned by a parent at birth have made successful claims, although there has generally been some dependency or need shown. This is assuming he made a will. If he didn’t make a will and left no wife or other children you could be his sole heir.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms