Areas of Law / Consumer Law

I ordered some kitchen units. When they were delivered they were wider than the ones I ordered, and the fitter was going to cut them down to size. I asked him to stop what he was doing and send the units back. Can I cancel the contract and reclaim my deposit?

You were right to prevent the fitter altering the units. If you had allowed him to continue, the firm could have argued that you had accepted the goods, in which case the best you could have hoped for might have been compensation if the end result was disappointing. If the firm cannot supply the units you ordered within a “reasonable” time, say a fortnight, you should write stating why you are cancelling the contract and ask for the return of your deposit. If necessary you can sue for your money in the small claims court.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms