Areas of Law / Employment

My son was given three months’ notice of redundancy, but when the three months were up he was asked to continue until Christmas. Now the employer won’t give him a final date. What will happen if the firm goes under?

If your son wishes to leave he can do so at any time, unless he’s signed a short-term contract to stay on. He has a contract with the employer for a redundancy payment and the employer is obliged to pay it. If your son thinks the firm is about to go bust he may be better off leaving while the money is still available, rather than join a queue of people requiring cash from an insolvent company. In those circumstances the government may end up paying his redundancy money, but it can be quite a lengthy process.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms