Areas of Law / Property

Twenty years ago I gifted my house to my daughter. I had a 60 year lease, but several years later my daughter got into financial difficulties and asked me to pay rent. I forgot about the lease and signed a tenancy agreement. Now my daughter is evicting me. Have I signed away my rights by trying to help her?

If you took legal advice when transferring your property into your daughter’s name 20 years ago you probably won’t be able to challenge this and may have to move out. It’s not clear what the lease is; it’s unlikely you gave your daughter the property and leased it back from her, so I take it you owned the property leasehold as opposed to freehold. That won’t affect your position now. I think you should discuss your predicament with a solicitor urgently.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms