Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My wife and I made identical but individual wills, of which one copy has been misplaced. The solicitor who drew them up has now retired. Do we need to make a new will, or is the original deposited somewhere?

Your executors will need to find your original wills following your deaths. If the solicitor was a sole practitioner and his firm no longer exists you could try to find out who took over his business. The Law Society has an inquiry desk (0207-320-5650) which may be able to help you. However if you appointed the solicitor executor of your wills you should now consider appointing someone else, and the simplest way of doing this is to make a new will.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms