Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When my wife and I split up we rented out our house, but the rent didn’t cover the mortgage. Over several years I made up the shortfall, amounting to £15,000, until the house was sold. Am I entitled to claim half of the £15,000 from her?

Yes, but this should ideally have been sorted out either during divorce proceedings or when the house was sold. It could be expensive to take your ex-wife to court solely to recoup this money now. If you aren’t divorced yet you still have the opportunity to raise the issue, but it sounds as though you have already divided up your biggest joint asset. Discuss it with your solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms