Areas of Law / Employment

My wife worked for a firm for 20 years. She went on sick leave in May 2013 and never went back. She never formally left, and received her P60 for the tax year to 5th April 2015. We’ve discovered that the company closed down last year. Is she entitled to a redundancy payment? We wrote to the receivers two months ago, but haven’t received a reply.

It’s fairly clear that the firm would have been entitled to bring your wife’s employment to an end after an absence of two years but if she was still on the payroll she may well be able to claim that she was still employed by the company. I suggest you press the receivers for an answer, and see a solicitor if necessary. In normal circumstances employees must claim their redundancy payment within six months.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms