Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

Can you tell me what happens when someone dies intestate leaving less than £100,000? Is there any need to involve a solicitor?

The procedure for administering the property of someone who dies without making a will is similar to that where a will is involved. So you should seek the advice of a solicitor where there’’s a business or a trust or large sums to deal with, or if complications arise. A personal representative won’’t have been nominated, so an administrator will have to be appointed. He or she may well have to apply to the Probate Registry for authority to wind up the estate unless there is a surviving spouse and the bulk of the assets is in joint names. The Probate registry will provide you with the basic information you require.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms