Areas of Law / Property

We’re halfway through paying the mortgage on a house which is in my wife’s name. For reasons connected with my job, we live in rented accommodation, while her son lives in the house. I have discovered that my wife is transferring the property into her son’s name. How do I stand with this? I don’t want to wreck my marriage, but I feel I’m about to lose any claim I might have on a house I’ve been paying towards for ten years.

You have probably acquired an interest in the property by your contributions towards the mortgage. You should discuss the transfer with your wife; you could protect your position by filing a notice or restriction against the title at the Land Registry. See a solicitor urgently for advice on how to go about this.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms