Areas of Law / Child Law

How can I find out whether my name was put on my daughter’s birth certificate? My ex-girlfriend won’t tell me whether my name was included as the father or not.

You can get a copy of your daughter’s birth certificate from the district register office or from the General Register Office in Southport. But I can tell you now that your name won’t be on it. Where the parents are unmarried, the registrar can record the name of the father only if both parents attend the register office and both sign the register, or you sign a joint declaration or produce a parental responsibility agreement or court order. You can still be registered at this stage, but under the same conditions.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms