Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My husband totally ignored the divorce papers that were sent to him by post. I had to apply for them to be served by bailiff, but my solicitor says there was no answer when they went to the house, although the TV was on and there was a car in the drive. What will happen if he doesn’t sign the papers?

It doesn’t matter so much about him signing to acknowledge receipt of the papers as long as you can get the petition served. The bailiff’s testimony that the petition was delivered to your husband’s house will be enough. You could then ask the court to proceed with the divorce. The court can proceed without the petition being served, but it’s rare for this to happen. It’s possible to serve notice through newspaper advertisements if the court agrees.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms