Areas of Law / Property

I bought a terraced house seven years ago for my retirement. The property next door was gutted by the owner and then left after the roof, windows and doors were made secure. Both I and the couple living on the other side have complained that the house and yard are an eyesore. Is there anything we can do to force the owner to finish the job?

People can’t usually be forced to look after their property unless it presents a danger to others, in which case you could probably get the council to intervene. The title deeds to some properties can contain clauses requiring the owner to keep them in good repair, although such covenants are notoriously difficult to enforce. A better option might be contacting your local councillor to see if the council might be prepared to serve an Empty Dwelling Management Order on the owner.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms