Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

In the 1960’s my husband was a member of a pop group. I was wondering what happens to the royalties, especially since he has now died.

If you haven’t already done so you should register with Phonographic Performance Ltd, or PPL, which collects royalties for a range of recorded music when it is played in public or broadcast on TV, radio and certain digital media services. It also collects royalties internationally. Since 1st  November 2013 the law changed so that copyright in sound recordings now lasts for 70 years (previously, it was 50 years). This means that record companies and performers (and in your case their beneficiaries) can continue to earn income from these recordings during the extra 20 years of copyright. This applies to recordings released from 1963 onwards.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms